Grounds

Llancayo House has just over 9 acres of grounds attached, including a walled kitchen garden, an orchard, a paddock with stables, spinneys, lawns and gardens.

In addition to the mansion house, there is also a renovated Coach House, and an ancient Potting Shed in the orchard.

In the paddock, the majestic Lebanon Cedar and Wellingtonian or Giant Redwood trees (which are protected) are at least 150 years old. The cedars were planted by Edward John Trelawney, writer and friend of the poets Byron and Shelley, when he lived in South Wales from 1846 onwards. Other cedars that he planted at the same time can be seen in and around Usk. The Wildlife Trust has described the Llancayo House paddock as a site of special scientific interest, a wild flower meadow completely untouched for centuries aside from grazing animals.

In the orchard, some of the trees date back to the 1830's. The orchard is currently being restored with advice and guidance from the Marcher Apple Network. We hope to get it back to a fully working orchard, as in the 1800's.

Photo of the soft brown winged Meadow Brown butterfly resting in the paddock's long grasses.
Meadow Brown (above) and Small Skipper (below) butterflies found in the paddock's long grasses Photo of orangey butterfly, the Small Skipper, taken in the paddock's long grass
 
Photo of area of blue flowers (Meadow Crane's Bill) taken in part of the paddock
Meadow Crane's Bill found near the garden wall in the paddock
 
 
    ABOUT US  LONGTERM   HISTORY AND ARCHITECTURE   POLICY ON ENVIRONMENT AND EQUALITY   WHERE WE ARE    USEFUL LINKS